SS Admella 1849 rescue walk revisited 10-11 August 2019

Find people to walk or share transport with. Topics deleted after 365 idle days.
Forum rules
1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

There is a separate forum specifically for finding the Overland Track companions and transport.

SS Admella 1849 rescue walk revisited 10-11 August 2019

Postby mikethepike » Tue 02 Jul, 2019 10:38 pm

At around 5.00 am on 9 August 1849, the Steamship Admella, on route from Adelaide to Melbourne and with 120 passengers and crew on board, struck Carpenter Rocks and broke into three pieces. Two days later and after two earlier attempts by others to get to the shore ended with disaster, two crew members managed to get ashore not long before dark. They then set off on a 34 km overnight walk to the lighthouse at Cape Northumberland (in SA and not far from the Victorian border) to sound the alarm. It was 5 days later before 20 passengers and crew were finally rescued with the remainder dying from the cold, thirst or from drinking seawater. I am interested to repeat this walk during the same moon phase (80% moonlight, moon-set at 3.30 am) and at the same time of the year. Apart from that similarity, it’s not replicating the other historic details of the historic mission; viz. 3 hours of prior immersion in cold water, wet clothing, one with no shoes, no food or lighting and starting out with empty stomachs.

The 150th anniversary of the shipwreck was recognized in 2009 with brass plaques and speeches but this trip will be the first ‘rescue walk re-enactment’ that I am aware of and is in the 160th anniversary year. (I am in total awe of the two who did the walk and don’t kid myself about comparing the historic walk and this weak copy.) It’s on the weekend 10-11 August and it’s a matter of getting to Mt Gambier where a friend of mine will take us to the start and pick us up at the end of the walk. I've briefly inspected the coastline earlier this year and have a fairly good idea what will be involved. I hope that someone may be interested in this walk. If so, please get in touch.
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: SS Admella 1849 rescue walk revisited 10-11 August 2019

Postby Eremophila » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 12:07 pm

Would love to give it a go but I’m away that weekend, and I’d probably be a bit slow for you too.

I really think you should make an effort to replicate the original conditions!
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 2:13 pm

Eremophila wrote:I really think you should make an effort to replicate the original conditions!

He'd have trouble getting volunteers for the "...remainder dying from the cold, thirst or from drinking seawater".
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Warin » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 3:49 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Eremophila wrote:I really think you should make an effort to replicate the original conditions!

He'd have trouble getting volunteers for the "...remainder dying from the cold, thirst or from drinking seawater".

And wet clothing :evil: ... no goretex :twisted:
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Eremophila » Thu 15 Aug, 2019 1:32 pm

How'd it go Mike? A great weekend weather-wise to replicate some challenging conditions!
Look forward to seeing a trip report, if you did venture out.
(I was enjoying the several open fireplaces at Mitchelton Winery Hotel 8) )
Eremophila

Postby mikethepike » Sun 15 Dec, 2019 4:53 pm

Eremophila wrote:How'd it go Mike? A great weekend weather-wise to replicate some challenging conditions!
Look forward to seeing a trip report, if you did venture out.

Thanks for your interest Eremoph. and sorry I didn't think to revisit this thread till now. I'm sorry to report the weekend failed to eventuate for a couple of reasons, both feeble. Obviously I have to toughen up a bit mentally and also not just spring my travel arrangements on my Mt Gambier friend with only a week's notice! I could wait and do it for the 175th anniversary but that is very unlikely but maybe in August 2020. If I do get to do it, I will post something here. If anyone potentially interested, please get in touch - all you have to do is get to and from Mt Gambier, everything from there is looked after.
Thanks and cheers
Mike
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eremophila » Thu 16 Jan, 2020 10:17 pm

Just re-reading Mike.... you are intending to walk through the night???

Perhaps I will just be a spectator, heckle from the sidelines and tease you with hot coffee and hash browns at 7am :lol:
Eremophila

Return to Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport