Tops to Myall Heritage Trail

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Tops to Myall Heritage Trail

Postby buckoraider » Wed 04 Aug, 2021 1:42 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking to have a crack at this walk later this month and was just wondering if anyone had a copy of the old guidebook, or advice on where I might be able to get it.

Thanks!
buckoraider
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Mullaitivu_83 » Thu 05 Aug, 2021 9:33 am

I have a copy in PDF format. I’m not sure if I can attach it to a post here. I’m happy to share.
Mullaitivu_83
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby davidmorr » Fri 06 Aug, 2021 10:13 pm

That would be great. I have been looking for a copy for years.

You should be able to use “Upload attachment” below the Submit button.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 07 Aug, 2021 7:15 pm

Finished the final section into Hawks Nest on Thursday, completed it to find the news of a 5pm lockdown.
Mungo Brush to Hawks Nest- 23km

We had intended to start from Bombah Point Ferry (currently closed) but arrived to a road closure just before Boomeri campsite, so parked on up and started from there.
There is currently an blue green algal bloom in the area, so we elected to do a road bash for the first part of our day to avoid possible contact with standing water. The trail is low lying and often a bit "aquatic" to walk.
Due to campground and road closures , the road was quiet , with only one car passing us in 10km. The going was flat, pleasant. The winter sunshine divine on our skin.

We ducked onto the official Tops to Myall Heritage Trail once clear of Brambles Green and were amazed at the dingo tracks on the sandy trail. We had seen three dingoes close to town during our earlier car shuffle.
We then emerged off the T2MHT at Lemon Tree and walked onto the beach - if a beach walk is not to your liking, you could continue along the trail further before crossing to the beach side.
The beach was stunning, not a car or person to be seen. It was tough going though, with those few kilometres feeling harder than the many that had come before them.
Following the gpx file, we came off the beach to an overgrown trail. Someone had left pink ribbon in a few sections, but it was a matter of knowing your end goal and finding the path of least resistance. If I were to walk it again, I would avoid this short but scrubby section and instead walk slightly further along the beach than the gpx file indicates and then pick up the Michael Rowe Walk from there.
It was a cruisy walk once we had emerged from our bush bash and before we knew ir- we had arrived to the Surf Life Saving Club at Hawks Nest where we had left a car. Done!

Although technically I have not walked the first section in Barrington as dedicated instalment on this trail, I have walked that section many times as it is local to me, so I am still considering myself as walking all of Tops to Myall Heritage Trail.
I will revisit the Barrington Tops section with my friend once lockdown has ended as I have walked all the other sections with her and would like to do those kms with her too.
Attachments
IMG-20210805-WA0041.jpg
Ms_Mudd
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Cated » Wed 29 Sep, 2021 9:35 am

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone has walked this track and camped recently. I'm wanting to do with my daughter and another friend. Running it in a day is SO not an option.

I'd be super grateful for any guidance on water supply, camp grounds access to nearby roads, navigation etc from anyone who has experienced the trail
Cated
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: cate doosey

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 29 Sep, 2021 12:04 pm

Hi there, I have walked the entire trail in sections this year. Finished final section right before lockdown.
I am planning on walking it as a single, uninterrupted walk before the year is out also given interstate travel is looking off the cards.
Feel free to ask any questions you have about particular sections and am more than happy to answer them as best I can and suggest water , camp options etc for those particular places.

You will have a great time, such a varied trail that you will have all to yourselves.
Ms_Mudd

Previous

Return to New South Wales & ACT