Music : Best 80's only hits

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Re: Music : Best 80's only hits

Postby Biggles » Mon 28 Jun, 2021 9:41 am

CraigVIC wrote:
Biggles wrote:Hunters & Collectors 1984 Throw Your Arms Around Me (Mark Seymour)

https://youtu.be/U-Huh8XPsU8

Here's one from The Oils, Embeddeds are Burning

Dunno what happened to that embed... :shock:

Yesss!
How can we dance
When our earth is turning
How do we sleep
While our beds are burning—

As an aside to that great hit, some years ago I set out on a research project to find out more about the album cover of Midnight Oil's 1987 compilation, Diesel and Dust. The cover pic fascinatted me: it shows a highly stylised, extreme contrast image of a derelict ruin, of Cornish appearance, in what appeared to be a large cropping field. Research led me to the South Australian town of Burra (a Cornish mining settlement), and 4km south of the town I found it: aka Cobb & Co. cottage — an 1864 settler's home, in ruins, but occupying a spectacular setting almost in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by rolling hills and tormented by more than a century and a half of wind, weather, sunrise and sunsets. This pic below is one of three made in 2013. I understand that locals formed a workingi bee group to repair the side and rear walls of the ruin, their activity based on the historical and tourism value of the ruin alone. I hope to return one day and dance and jive in the red dust along the long-gone railway easement to Beds are Burning ! :lol:
Attachments
Midnight Oil House_BurraSA_2013_PRIV.png
Cobb & Co cottage, Burra, South Australia, pictured 2013.
Midnight Oil House_BurraSA_2013_PRIV.png (391.94 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.
—Lao Tzu.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Music : Best 80's only hits

Postby stry » Mon 28 Jun, 2021 11:10 am

north-north-west wrote:1983 Somehow it feels longer.

It does, doesn't it ? Probably because of the time lapse between the events and the release of the song.

Why Youtube have chosen to classify your linked clip as "Age restricted content" is a mystery.

Good one NNW. Never stops being evocative for me.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Between Bushwalks