Overland Track - General Information
From Bushwalk Australia
(New page: This page includes a variety of information (largely by linking to other relevant pages) for people wanting to walk Tasmania's famous Overland Track. For Bushwalk Tasmania member's track ...)
Newer edit →
Revision as of 03:34, 4 July 2008
This page includes a variety of information (largely by linking to other relevant pages) for people wanting to walk Tasmania's famous Overland Track. For Bushwalk Tasmania member's track notes, please see the Overland Track page in the Track Notes section.
Parks and Wildlife Department
The department has a Visitors Guide to Cradle Mountain and Lake St Clair. (Note that both these links have drop down boxes right at the top, to select the different pages of information. Subjects such as Introduction, activities, highlights, access, map, etc can be found there.)
Tasmania's Parks department have set up a dedicated Overland Track site. This site has access to the booking page. There is an absolute sea of information on this site which is well worth browsing at leisure.
Department PDF Fact Sheets (and other PDFs)
- Cradle Mt - Lake St Clair National Park
- Camping and Cabin Fees (bottom left of page 2 for Cradle Mtn, middle left of page 3 for Lake St Clair info.)
- Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area
- Disabled Access - Parks for all People Numbers 6 and 7 in this booklet are of interest. Anyone who is disabled should get one of these booklets - great info.
- Overland Track
- Overland Track FAQs
- Plant Checklist for Cradle Mountain
- Bird Checklist for Cradle Mountain
- Fauna Checklist for Cradle Mountain
- Before You Walk - Tasmania's Essential Bushwalking Guide & Trip Planner.
There are a number of other fact sheets worth looking at - there are a few on walks from Lake St Clair, as well as ones that cover such things as minimal impact walking, walking safely, and cooking and food tips.
There are a number of maps available which any map shop would be able to assist you with:
- Cradle Mtn Day Walks map
- Cradle Mtn - Lake St Clair map
- Topographical 1:25000 maps
There are likely to be others too (eg, 1:100000, which are a bit small for reliable navigation).
Printed Track Notes
- Overland Track by John Chapman
- Cradle Mountain Lake St Clair & Walls of Jerusalem National Parks by John Chapman
There is shuttle bus service continues through winter - http://www.media.tas.gov.au/release.php?id=23771