Port davey and South Coast Track.

Find people to walk or share transport with. Topics deleted after 365 idle days.
Forum rules
1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

There is a separate forum specifically for finding the Overland Track companions and transport.

Port davey and South Coast Track.

Postby Lesley » Sat 23 Mar, 2019 5:39 pm

Hey,
I just joined the forum a week or so ago and have had a quick look around.
I am currently backpacking through Australia and aim to do the Port Davey track and South Coast Track back to back in around 12 days total. My goal is to start at Scotts peak dam and finish at Cockle Creek.
The Parks and Wildlife services advice mentioned that it's advised to not do the track alone. Therefore I'am looking for someone or a group that is aiming to do the same route.
As for who I am. My name is Lesley and I am an enthusiastic 25 year old man from the Netherlands. I have done many multiday hikes in Europe. The longest being a 600km, 19 day traverse of the Alps. I have been doing athletics competitively for the last 3 years (32:00 10K and 15:05 5K) and was a keen mountainbiker and road cyclist before that.
I am familiar with navigation, hiking and camping but might lack some experience in bushwalking. Therefore I would like to find a companion or group to do this hike with.
My aim is to start at Scotts peak dam between the 7th and 12th of April. Although I'am flexible when it comes to dates.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Cheers,
Lesley
Lesley
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Port davey and South Coast Track.

Postby Araucaria » Sun 24 Mar, 2019 11:10 am

Hi,

We were planning to do a similar trip at the same time, but unfortunately Port Davey Track is closed due to fires. We haven't decided on what to do exactly yet, but it will likely involve the South Coast Track and adjacent tracks like Moonlight track or South west cape. We're not sure if we want to fly to Melaleuca, as it's a bit expensive.

Anyway, we are a couple from Poland in our 30's with a lot of remote hiking experience and we'll be happy if you join us. We will land in Hobart on the 7th of April early in the morning and fly out on the 20th. If you're interested we should keep in touch to decide on The Hike.

Cheers
Araucaria
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Sun 24 Mar, 2019 2:24 pm

Port Davey and South Coast tracks are fine to do solo if you're comfortable going alone and experienced enough and properly equipped. South Coast Track in particular, you will see other people and can always tag along with them if desired. Port Davey gets less traffic and the boat crossing at Bathurst Narrows is hard work for a single person.

However, as the Scotts Peak Road and the Port Davey Track are both still closed and likely to be so for a while yet, you are going to have to find an alternative. Sorry about that.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby vagrom » Sun 24 Mar, 2019 2:47 pm

Only alternative would be fly-in/fly-out and doing the South-West circuit I guess.

Still $300 in and $250 out?

If only they could look at Pine Valley or Frenchmans?
Nature is never spent.
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Friends of Cleland CP, yha.
Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Sun 24 Mar, 2019 7:09 pm

Or Southern Range to New River Lagoon. Harder work but great country. If they have the time and are desperate to do that stretch of coast, Prion to New Harbour Range can be done out and back before continuing east.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lesley » Tue 26 Mar, 2019 8:09 am

I already contemplated the fly-in/fly-out option. But the price of flying to Maleleuca seems is a bit steep to me. Anyhow hiking the South Coast Track and some adjacent tracks sounds like an excellent idea.

If you're interested we should keep in touch to decide on The Hike.

Keeping in touch would be lovely. I am also looking into hiking through the walls of Jerusalem and along the westcoast. I will send you guys a PB after work.
Cheers
Lesley
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Araucaria » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 1:58 pm

Hi Lesley,
We're not too keen on spending $600 on a flight to Melaleuca either... That made us consider other options, e.g. a shorter, South Coast-Moonlight range loop (starting and finishing in Cockle Creek) combined with another trail in that area (no ideas yet), or changing the area completely and doing a hike in the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park instead, like Du Cane Range. It's also possible to combine South Coast and Du Cane Range, but getting from one hike to the other would obviously take some time and money.

Let's keep in touch!
Araucaria
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 28 Mar, 2019 6:25 am

Araucaria wrote:Hi Lesley,
We're not too keen on spending $600 on a flight to Melaleuca either... That made us consider other options, e.g. a shorter, South Coast-Moonlight range loop (starting and finishing in Cockle Creek) combined with another trail in that area (no ideas yet),

There isn't anything else open down there at the moment - South Coast Track, South West Cape, Southern Range are it. Even Hartz is still closed.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lesley » Thu 28 Mar, 2019 8:25 am

changing the area completely and doing a hike in the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park instead

That sounds like a good option to me.
Another option might be to do a hike in the Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park and link that up with a hike through the aforementioned Cradle-Lake national park.
I will start looking into some multiday options in the area. I was thinking about hiking for 5 days before restocking supplies and then followed by another hike of similar length

Cheers,
Lesley
Lesley
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Araucaria » Thu 28 Mar, 2019 11:35 am

north-north-west wrote:
Araucaria wrote:That made us consider other options, e.g. a shorter, South Coast-Moonlight range loop (starting and finishing in Cockle Creek) combined with another trail in that area (no ideas yet),

There isn't anything else open down there at the moment - South Coast Track, South West Cape, Southern Range are it. Even Hartz is still closed.

What about the Moonlight Ridge? I thought it was open.

Lesley wrote:Another option might be to do a hike in the Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park and link that up with a hike through the aforementioned Cradle-Lake national park.

Sounds great, do you have any particular hikes in Franklin-Gordon in mind?
If the Moonlight Ridge area is open, we could also start with the South Coast + Moonlight Ridge (around 5 days?), then head to Cradle-Lake NP and hike the Du Cane Range (6-7 days), or another hike in that area. This way we could easily resupply in Hobart, but would obviously need to find some transport from one hike to the other.
Araucaria
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 29 Mar, 2019 7:00 am

Araucaria wrote:
north-north-west wrote:
Araucaria wrote:That made us consider other options, e.g. a shorter, South Coast-Moonlight range loop (starting and finishing in Cockle Creek) combined with another trail in that area (no ideas yet),

What about the Moonlight Ridge? I thought it was open.

Moonlight Ridge is Southern Range.

Lesley wrote:Another option might be to do a hike in the Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park and link that up with a hike through the aforementioned Cradle-Lake national park.

Sounds great, do you have any particular hikes in Franklin-Gordon in mind?

Frenchmans is the only tracked option. In and out, with or without sidetrips, or a through walk either starting and ending at Nelson Falls and utilisiing the old logging road up the Raglan Range. This does involve an off track section from near Flat Bluff to the Franklin River, plus the river crossing. Also, the lower part of the old road is rather overgrown - easy enough to follow especially if heading south, but it can be a bit annoying (and leechy). But it's a lovely bit of country.

If the Moonlight Ridge area is open, we could also start with the South Coast + Moonlight Ridge (around 5 days?), then head to Cradle-Lake NP and hike the Du Cane Range (6-7 days), or another hike in that area. This way we could easily resupply in Hobart, but would obviously need to find some transport from one hike to the other.

If you can do South Coast-Southern Range in five days, it won't take six or seven to do the DuCane traverse.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Araucaria » Fri 29 Mar, 2019 1:32 pm

north-north-west wrote:If you can do South Coast-Southern Range in five days, it won't take six or seven to do the DuCane traverse.

The route I had in mind was a loop of Southern Ridge plus the eastern part of South Coast Track (that is, starting and ending in the east, without going to Melaleuca). Would 6 or 7 days be more realistic?
Araucaria
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 29 Mar, 2019 3:40 pm

That's the usual circuit. If you're fit enough and the weather is OK, five days is doable (albeit pushing things a bit) but there are some tricky bits and the whole thing is subject to highly variable weather. Allow a day to Pigsty, another to climb laPerouse and get at least to Ooze, then Pindars and Wylly to Wylly Plateau. Victoria Cross then PB High Camp is a decent day - just don't get lost around PB Low Camp. If the water levels are low enough you can descend PB to Cavern Camp and wade New River Lagoon to Prion in one day, but if the lagoon is high it can be very slow going. Most people will take at least a day and a half from Prion to Cockle Creek, more commonly two days or more.
Of course, if you don't bother with summitting anything it would be quicker.

It's not so much the overall time for that walk I was commenting on but the relative times allotted to the two. DuCanes, even if you go in over Gould and include Walled and Macs, will not take longer than the Southern Range circuit.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport