Grid Fleecey bargain? $18 fleecey.

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

Grid Fleecey bargain? $18 fleecey.

Postby Lamont » Mon 07 Jan, 2019 7:20 pm

https://www.decathlon.com.au/p/8505178_ ... #/18-200-l
spotted in UK.
Apparently the XL is 206grams to give you an idea and the gap between the squares is not overly broad.
Too warm? Just may be.
I have the feeling it will be like the Pata Thermal weight, my PTW Hoody in L is about 230grams. Quite deep zip for venting and hopefully stretchy/so you can raise the sleeves to control heat.
Only trouble for some is delivery-($11 for country Victoria) but a price that seems very good for what it is, I think.
Just bought one and a fleece beanie for $6. Delivery did not go up with second item.
Made from recycled plastic bottles.
Good gridding.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Lamont
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Societe' de Lamont Cranston
Region: Victoria

Re: Grid Fleecey bargain? $18 fleecey.

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 07 Jan, 2019 8:27 pm

Ive been impressed with decathlon gear. For the price its good quality and well designed

I love my $120 boots. and they have withstood two 8 day trips (in nz and the aussie alps) The waterproofing, sole and upper is still rock solid.
wildwanderer

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Fri 11 Jan, 2019 9:28 am

Not sure if anyone is following this but some thoughts as I am wearing it.
The shoulder seam is off set a wee bit to the front. Good.
Elastic sleeve ends, not too tight. Not sure, but they go over my entire hand if I clench my fist. You can pull the sleeves up to the elbow it is quite stretchy
Feels nice and if I may say, looks nice. Very small logo on chest only.
Grids on both sides-more pronounced on the outside-water disperses beautifully and very quickly when dropped onto the inner a la Patagonia.
The grid weave is tighter than the Pata Cap thermal.
This L would be M in Patagonia.
Weighs 205 gms in L. I am 103 chest, 1.79m tall and the large is 'tightish' easily wearable in public, but the XL would be too long (in the sleeves and body) I reckon.
Athletic fit-if you want loose go at least one size up. But their returns are free and seemingly last forever. Buy two and send one back. Wish I did to have something to compare to. I will keep tho' this I am pretty sure.
Long front and back-I can easily tuck this into my shorts.
Seams are fine. Around the shoulders the seams are a bit puckered, but for $18 you can live with it. I think it has been on a coathanger, now I look at it.
Might settle with a wash.
Nice longish zip for venting but about 4cms shorter than Patagonia uses. Grids will do the venting so no big deal.
Bought as an active piece for day walking most weekends when I only stop for a coffee, to protect my "good stuff". If it holds together and I can't see why it wont it will do the job.
Good gridding.
Lamont

Postby Mark F » Fri 11 Jan, 2019 9:46 am

These sorts of grid fleeces are fantastic mid layers. I've been using a slightly heavier one from Kathmandu for over a decade - Polartec 100 weight grid fleece, short front zip, 250g in large. Kathmandu seem to have dropped the style but they don't wear out despite amazing use and abuse. Perfect for pairing with a wind shirt in spring/autumn. Good to know there is still a local source.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Fri 11 Jan, 2019 10:54 am

Hey Mark, for your interest-
https://www.amazon.com/White-Sierra-BAZ ... th=1&psc=1
the price goes up and down like a yo-yo. And the colour influences the price. I bought two for about $10 USD each.
Non grid but more useful all purpose weighs 215 gms in M (160g/m weight)
The Medium in the White Sierra is slightly roomier in the body than the grid fleece in Large.
These 100g/m stuff is just right for layering, I concur.

Edit -just shopping and found a Decathlon fleece non grid 212 gms, size L (M by Aus sizes) so L by Australian sizing would be about 220 grams- quite good weight for active and static.
At this total garment weight it would be 160 g/m fleece matching the White Sierra.
https://www.decathlon.com.au/p/8397388_ ... 75-200-2xl
Cheaper, here in Oz and free returns and exchanges --refunds looks like no postage back tho'.
Last edited by Lamont on Sun 13 Jan, 2019 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lamont

Postby Mark F » Fri 11 Jan, 2019 1:58 pm

I just bought one of the fleeces and added a few extras. They have a good little 10 litre pack (48 grams) for side trips and only $6 - my S2S one is slowly disintegrating after plenty of wear so am hoping this may be a good replacement - smaller but lighter. If it falls apart then it's only $6.
I have also been planning to build a pack covering rain jacket per Roger Caffin's design. There is a nice cape with capacity for a 40 litre pack under it's shelter. At worst I can slit it down the middle and insert a zip to test out the concept and get the dimensions dialed in for when I make my own.
Also some glove liners with touch screen tactility - $8. I usually carry a liner glove to use with light waterproof mittens.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Fri 11 Jan, 2019 2:09 pm

Ha ha see my post above yours.
Just bought some fleece gloves (25 gms),https://www.decathlon.com.au/p/8369958_forclaz-20-adult-hiking-gloves-black.html#/2385-515-xs_s to go with my event mittens!!
Some no chafe (?) undies and running shorts. Which was the pack you chose?
They have certainly expanded their stock since they opened!
Lamont

Postby Mark F » Fri 11 Jan, 2019 2:18 pm

I have bought stuff from Decathlon when I have been in France in the past. They do have a good selection for clothing at very competitive prices and often quite technical specs. Their walking equipment though remains mid market but quite usable. The little pack was this one https://www.decathlon.com.au/p/8348928_arpenaz-10-ultra-compact-ultra-lightweight-backpack-black.html#/1278-407-unique that will replace my S2S which I think is 18 litres and save 22g.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 6:56 am

Ta Mark, was the cape the $40 one?
Might I ask yourself or Roger where I might find the design for the pack/cape? Is it open source ha ha.
This one (Decathlon) looks like on trackish conditions it would work?
I can fit all my coffee stuff and some scroggin in that wee sack you linked and a raincoat, down vest and get rid of my overly heavy one (which is always three quarters empty) for half and day walking in that day pack on track use in milder weather.Very useful Ta.
Lamont

Postby Mark F » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 9:52 am

Lamont - it is the $40 one. I believe Roger's design is open source. Roger's pattern is on bpl https://backpackinglight.com/myog_mntn_poncho/ but this may only be accessible to subscribers. There are several threads on the public forums on bpl - particularly check out the thread from Jan Rezac https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/cuben-fiber-mountain-poncho/ which is pretty much where I am trying to get to.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 10:33 am

Yowza, that Rezak DCF one! Beautiful work.
Thanks for that.
Lamont

Postby Mark F » Wed 16 Jan, 2019 5:00 pm

Well, Decathlon's returns process is spot on. I bought a few additional items to get to free postage - fleece liner gloves and balaclava that I am happy with but the fleece top was a bit tight so I am exchanging it for the size up. A quick email and I had a free return though ParcelPoint immediately followed up with the replacement being processed - zero freight - to be sent once the return is received.

The cape looks good. It comes to midway on my calf (I am 180cm) I may actually shorten it a little. The hood is adequate and the whole thing not too billowy. Adding a full zip should be pretty simple although I think I will only run the zip to half thigh length and add a couple of press studs below that. The hood and sleeve openings are factory sealed but the long seams down the arms and the sides are not. Given that these seams are either vertical or at hanging down I don't imagine any great leakage through them. This evening I will load up my pack and see how the cape handles it.

The 10 litre day pack looks great. It won't last as long as a S2S one but for $6 I am not complaining. The only thing I needed to do was add a mini cord lock to the built in stuff sack.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Wed 16 Jan, 2019 5:33 pm

I received my stuff from them today and very happy also.
The running shorts are excellent and I think my Uniqlo airism undies have been surpassed by the Kalenji ones. They are basically the same as the normal airism (not mesh) but much cheaper and same quality, but much thicker (better IMO) waist band.
Made for running and much more "compacting" to cancel the chafes.
I cannot find any reference to 'Polygieneish ' type stuff on the fleece or some such but after clocking up five hard exercise bouts and much sweat-no smell!
I shall keep your info on the cape in mind and look forward to seeing the results of your modifications!
Can't find the free post amount-what is it?
Also looking at a balaclava myself is it the ADULT FLEECE SKI BALACLAVA BLACK? Is it the very thin fleece? I am after a very thin one.
Lamont

Postby Mark F » Wed 16 Jan, 2019 5:53 pm

Lamont - the free post value is $80. The balaclava is quite a light fleece - it weighed 49 grams so about 100 weight or a bit less. For comparison my old silk balaclava weights 28 grams. The lower edge of the head hole sits just below the nose but can be pulled down below the mouth but not in the long term. The throat extends a long way down at the front, easily enough to tuck in the neck opening of a jacket or shirt. It also folded up to form a beanie quite comfortably. At $5 it is hard to go past.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Wed 16 Jan, 2019 6:13 pm

Ta, for that, and the weights.
The balaclava will hopefully allow me to extend the range of my down 150gm hoodless jacket, I am thinking/hoping/posturising.
You are right for that price it is hard to go past.

I must have hit some number, even my wee order of $20 is showing- all free shipping -giddy up.
Maybe multiple orders gives you something or membership-did you join up?
I did, perhaps that's it?
Lamont

Postby Mark F » Thu 17 Jan, 2019 11:12 am

I believe you have to join up in order to buy from Decathlon, a bit like Costco, but the membership is free and will remain free according to their web site.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 17 Jan, 2019 3:15 pm

Mark F wrote:I believe you have to join up in order to buy from Decathlon, a bit like Costco, but the membership is free and will remain free according to their web site.

At their physical store they also ask for your email address to sign you up to their site as part of the purchase process. However they dont check it. So if you want just give them john@smith.com.

One bonus is they will also send your receipt to the email address. So its easy to find again if needed.
wildwanderer

Postby Lamont » Wed 23 Jan, 2019 12:54 pm

I can vouch for the returns process as well. Email sent, dealt with, and new product winging it's way to me within an hour of the email. No cost to me as you would expect. All done before the original item has been sent back.
For what it's worth all their down is RDS and much of their poly stuff is recycled and they seem to have a more than satisfactory CSR policy. The down jackets with 100 grams of down seem to be very good value. I am not an employee nor connected to them in any way.
Lamont

Postby north-north-west » Sun 27 Jan, 2019 6:47 am

I hate their guts.

They have some very nice looking gear, at great prices. If you're a bloke. But proper walking gear designed to fit women?
Why are there not male and female versions of all items?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Nuts » Sun 27 Jan, 2019 7:02 am

Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sun 27 Jan, 2019 7:21 am

Could you not get a couple of the cheaper items and try the sizing? According to their site they offer 365 days happiness returns and all you lose is the postage?
If you want to exchange there is NO new postage cost! Have to love that.
I had email after email confirming my satisfaction!
So many, someone sent me an email apologising for all the emails and they let me keep the item I wanted to exchange!
The fleece gloves at $4! The balaclava Mark put me onto is fine! Shorts and undies are tops.
I have been looking at their running and cycling stuff, all quite light and capable of modularity/layering.
As an online shopper living in the back of nowhere as I do (perhaps you are in the same boat) I would happily try this. As Mark and I found their returns are painless.
I think their down jackets are far better than Uniqlos and about the same weight-their shell is lighter and the fill higher I think.
Mens in L -100grams down is 800fp? Get you down to about 4-5degrees not UL but... Uniqlos as confirmed by Moondog a while bag is about the 600fp-650fp from memory?
You will get an email from their "happiness officer" -no joke.
Once I bought a few items both mens and womens (big buyer of women's stuff-women always have the most breathable stuff) from Uniqlo I knew my sizes. Womens is exactly one size up to mens at Uniqlo.
Lamont

Postby Lamont » Sun 27 Jan, 2019 7:32 am

Just read the article Nuts, thanks.
Will really have to do some thinking on it.
I did a quick search the other day and didn't get this.
Lamont

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 27 Jan, 2019 9:29 am

A decent report on various brands and their supply chains. Worth clicking on each brand that your interested in for the breakdown as some have a high overall grade but looking closer they get a A for having great policys but then a D for worker empowerment/living wage etc when looking at their suppliers. Which seems similar to the Decathlon story above.

https://baptistworldaid.org.au/resource ... ion-guide/
https://baptistworldaid.org.au/ethical- ... port-faqs/
wildwanderer

Postby north-north-west » Sun 27 Jan, 2019 10:21 am

Lamont wrote:Could you not get a couple of the cheaper items and try the sizing?

It works with some things, but not others. You can do that with tops - I prefer a loose fit anyway - but men's pants don't work on my body. They also have some good looking footwear but the best aren't in women's fit and the smallest men's size is too big.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts