Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.
For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.
This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.
Mon 02 Sep, 2013 5:43 pm
Attached is link to post from my 8 day Larapinta hike this past July'http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=81466
Tue 03 Sep, 2013 7:43 pm
I've updated the post with some gear notes and our itinerary
Larapinta Distances Trail Notes
Saturday 29th Day 1
1. Redbank Gorge to Rocky Bar look out = 17km Easy Carry Water from Rocky Bar
CAMP 17km Rocky Bar Gap/Lookout
Sunday 30th Day 2
2. Rocky Bar Look out to Glen Helen JTC = 14km Medium Climb
3. Glen Helen/ Finke River to Ormiston Gorge = 9.5km Medium Flat
4. Ormiston Gorge to Waterfall Gorge = 15.5km Hard Climb and Carry water to Waterfall Camp
CAMP 34km Waterfall Gorge
Monday 1rst Day 3
5. Waterfall Gorge to Serpentine Chalet Dam = 13km Hard Undulating Hills
6. Serpentine Chalet Dam to Serpentine Gorge = 13.5km Hard Climb & Descent
CAMP 26.5km Serpentine Gorge
Tuesday 2nd Day 4
7. Serpentine Gorge to Ellery Creek = 14km Hard Flat, pay to Get through this section
7. Ellery Creek to Rocky Gully = 15.5km Medium Flat
CAMP Rocky Gully 29.5km
Wednesday 3rd Day 5
8. Rocky Gully to Hugh Gorge = 16km Medium Undulating
9. Hugh Gorge to Fringe Lily Creek = 8km Very Hard Small Climbs
10. Fringe Lily Creek to Birthday Waterhole = 8km Very Hard Big Climb/Big descent
CAMP 32km Birthday Waterhole
Thursday 4th Day 6
11. Birthday Waterhole to Brinkley Bluff = 7km Very Hard Biggest/ Steepest Climb
12. Brinkley Bluff to Standley Chasm = 10km Very Hard All Descent
CAMP 17km Standley Chasm
Friday the 4th Day 7
13. Standley Chasm to Jay Creek = 15km Hard Climb + High route
14. Jay Creek to Mulga Camp = 11km Medium Flat
CAMP Mulga Camp 26km
Saturday 5th Day 8
15. Mulga Camp to Simpsons Gap = 14km Medium Flat
16. Simpsons Gap to Wallaby Gap = 11km Medium Undulating
CAMP 25km Wallaby Gap
Sunday 6th Day 9/Fly out
18. Wallaby Gap to Telegraph Station = 14km Medium Undulating
Alice Springs 14km
Tue 03 Sep, 2013 8:42 pm
Thanks for the report and details.
What's the deal with all your bladders blowing up ? That doesn't sound great, especially out there.
Glad to see I wasn't the only ULer out there this season. I do agree that its a great Aussie walk to do UL, but each to there own and everyone has there own idea on what they should / need to have. How good is a UL wind shirt out there, I wore mine to death (not literally its still fine).
So you guys missed climbing Mt Sonder and camping on Brinkley Bluff. IMO that's a shame as they were two huge highlights of my walk.
© Bushwalk Australia and contributors 2007-2013.