Wyaralong Dam

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Wyaralong Dam

Postby Ticklebelly » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 11:16 am

Checked out the Mt Joyce track at the newly opened recreation park at Wyaralong Dam (just outside Beaudesert). Did just under 15k roundtrip from the dam wall carpark to the top of Mt Joyce then down the Ridgeline (both rated advanced) track to the Mt Joyce base camp, then back on the easy rated track to the carpark. Several portions of the tracks are shared with bike riders but the I had no issues and the tracks are wide enough for all to use. Vertical climb is about the 350m mark but not too difficult. A couple of massively thorny shrubs in the wrong place and need to be avoided as handholds in those scrambling bits. The Ridgeline track back down to water level is pretty loose in parts and it will be interesting to see just how much erosion happens once the path is well worn and the rain does its work. Pretty open scrub/dry forest and interesting 360 views from the top of Mt Joyce. I see potential for a larger circuit to include Flinders Peak, for example. Saw Prettyface wallabies and schools of carp (in the water) and a fair smattering of birdlife. A good day out in all.

When the recreation park is completed, there will be about a 30k walk between the East and West trailheads; one path will be up and over Mt Joyce and will require a bit of an effort. The recreation park already has a really good mountain bike park and several canoe "tracks". The only through walk camp site I am aware of so far, is about 7.5k from the car park and is not really convinent for anyone wanting to do the 30k walk in two relatively easy stages. But this is all early days. Lots more is planned for the facility and I'm looking forward to doing the canoe bit at least. Interested people can get a map of the park here.
http://www.mtjoyceescape.com.au/walking-trails.html Camping at the dam is free at the moment and site numbers are limited. Caravans and camper trailers are banned and stink boats are not permitted on the dam. I suspect this place is going to be VERY popular in the future and right now might be a good time to check it out.

Phillip, if you read this, no hammock potential but I suspect the organisers would positively respond to a request for the installation of suitable facilities at the camp grounds (can you think of a more minimal impact over nighting method?). The organisers seem to be very advanced in their thinking and seem very keen to respond to public wants and needs.

Ticklebelly
Ticklebelly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Wyaralong Dam

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 1:08 pm

Looks like will be a very good hiking track. Pity about the lack of trees at the camp sites.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Wyaralong Dam

Postby tba » Wed 12 Oct, 2011 6:36 pm

Was at Mt Joyce on Mon 3 Oct. Koala in tree at the very top. Don't see them very often.
Attachments
IMG_2800_3.JPG
IMG_2800_3.JPG (115.69 KiB) Viewed 7890 times
tba
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ricadam » Mon 08 Jul, 2013 1:10 pm

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I was wondering if anyone has been there recently to give any updates?

Im thinking of making this my first multi-day (and possibly first ever) hike and hike up to Mt Joyce. I am just wondering if I am biting off more than I can chew?
ricadam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Picaro » Mon 08 Jul, 2013 7:43 pm

I've been out there a few times recently. Done the Ridgeline track in both directions, and both Mt. Joyce ridges in both directions. Nice views and a good day ( or two ) walking. Afraid I have no way to tell if its more than you can chew. Its certainly not technical, but there are some good steady ascents. Average fitness stuff in my estimate.

Unfortunately, funding was pulled before the Flinders Peak to the Ridgeline section was done.
Picaro
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to QLD Trip Reports & Track Notes