Late notice extended trip into Budawangs

Find people to walk or share transport with. Topics deleted after 365 idle days.
Forum rules
1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

There is a separate forum specifically for finding the Overland Track companions and transport.

Late notice extended trip into Budawangs

Postby Huntsman247 » Wed 03 Jul, 2019 5:11 pm

My usual walking companions are off doing things so I've decided to post here.
I'm planning on doing a 6-7 day trip in the Budawangs leaving around 11-13 of this month. Dates not set yet happy to be a bit flexible.
I've been thinking of doing it solo but would prefer to have company particularly for the off track sections.
So far the plan is to start from the castle and get to the rock ribs between fosters and quiltys via the route skirting the west of mt tarn and hoddle on the old sketch map. Then returning the usual route around mt haugton and over tarn.
As time allows some explorations of angles creek/donjon/mt cole could be in order.
One would need to have a reasonable level of fitness, have done walks in the Budawangs before. This would be a hard walk with a good amount of off track walking. Anyone still keen? [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
I live in the Jervis Bay area and am happy to cover transport there and back in exchange for a beer at the end of the trip.
Huntsman247
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Late notice extended trip into Budawangs

Postby FionaShedden » Tue 09 Jul, 2019 1:36 pm

Hi Huntsman, Sounds like a great walk, good luck with the off track parts and I hope you get some companions.

I am taking the family out tomorrow heading in from Nerriga along Redgrounds track to Styles creek and then exploring around Sturgiss, Quilties and Hidden Valley on Thursday. Originally thinking to head back along Styles Track but still to be determined as we might mountain bike in part way, meaning we'd have to return same way on Friday. If you're in the area we might see you.

Good Walking!
FionaShedden
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby puredingo » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 8:56 am

Mate!! Sounds like you’re going to have a ball.
Unfortunately I can’t wrangle the time off, I’ve used all my annual leave on an up and coming month in Indonesia.

Coming from Sussex it would have worked out pretty handy too both being from the area. Have fun and put up a trip report with pics, I’d be very interested.
GOOD LUCK.
puredingo
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Huntsman247 » Sat 20 Jul, 2019 10:47 pm

Just got back. Ended up doing it solo but ended up making some amendments to the plan due to the wind. Will post a trip report as soon as I get a chance to go through my pics.
Maybe another time puredingo
Huntsman247
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bernieq » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 1:17 pm

Keen to know if you took the route west of Hoddle and what the conditions were like. Did you look for the cave on the NW side of Hoddle's Castle Hill?

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Region: Victoria

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 8:33 pm

bernieq wrote:Keen to know if you took the route west of Hoddle and what the conditions were like. Did you look for the cave on the NW side of Hoddle's Castle Hill?
Unfortunately the wind was so strong for most of the trip that i decided to stay on the eastern side of things to avoid the westerlies. I'm not a masochist. Lol.
Will have to have another go. I decided to explore mt Haughton and the route around tarn to angels ck.
Huntsman247
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bernieq » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 11:06 pm

Fair enough.

edit - and 2nd edit to undo 1st edit ! found your trip report of your earlier trip - I was asking about the route from Angel Ck up to N side of Mt Tarn.
Last edited by bernieq on Tue 23 Jul, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Region: Victoria

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 11:46 am

bernieq wrote:Fair enough.

edit - found your trip report, thanks.
That's probably for a different trip. Lol.
Haven't had time to write one yet.
Huntsman247
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FionaShedden » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 12:05 pm

Understand the change in plan Huntsman. We camped at Styles on Wednesday and at 1.30am I thought we were about to get airborne. Next night we de-camped back down near Endrick which was much more pleasant. At least it wasn't frosty!
FionaShedden
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby puredingo » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 11:07 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:Just got back. Ended up doing it solo but ended up making some amendments to the plan due to the wind. Will post a trip report as soon as I get a chance to go through my pics.
Maybe another time puredingo

Yeah mate, just give me a yell.
puredingo

Return to Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport