Mt Meharry WA State 8 April 2019

Find people to walk or share transport with. Topics deleted after 365 idle days.
Forum rules
1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

There is a separate forum specifically for finding the Overland Track companions and transport.

Mt Meharry WA State 8 April 2019

Postby OzLoz » Mon 28 Jan, 2019 8:33 am

Hi there, I am looking for easy going hiking buddies to climb Mt Meharry WA early April, to share costs of transport and accomm etc. I understand it will still be hot and water levels are currently low in the gorges, but due to work commitments etc I have a narrow window of opportunity!

I am halfway through the state 8, so Mt Meharry is the main goal of the trip. However I also plan on basing myself at Karajini National Park, so that I can do some adventuring in the gorges. A local company will guide you to and up Mt Meharry from Karajini, but they need a minimum of 4 (or to pay the minimum price of 4).

This won't be a cheap undertaking due to the remote location, but the area does look pretty spectacular!

Anyone interested, or have any advice about the area?

Cheers

Loz
OzLoz
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Mt Meharry WA State 8 April 2019

Postby bobcrusader » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 2:50 pm

Damn. I'm booked in for Woodroofe for this year, but Meharry was next on my list. Hope it works out.
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby OzLoz » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 4:29 pm

Im planning for Woodroffe and Zeal in 2020 :)

Hope you have a great trip!
OzLoz
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Redtail » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 11:39 am

Karijini can get very, very busy during the school hols here. The ranger told me it's around 3-5,000 per night in peak season, but that's July.
Early April should be fine.

If your budget allows, camp or glamp at the Eco Resort. You can book a site, unlike the government run sites. It also has access to showers and a bar.

If you have your own vehicle - 4WD recommended - you can drive yourself to Mt Meharry (Wirlbiwirlbi). In fact, if you know what you're doing, you can drive all the way up it. But this being a bushwalking site, I guess that's not the point!
Access is via private land. There's a phone number to call to get permission. Info available from the resort or the info centre. Clearly if a tour is arranged, they'll have that covered already. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we had to cancel our day trip to Wirlbiwirlbi at the last minute, so I can't vouch for the views.

But I can vouch for the views from Punurrunha (Mt Bruce). Simply spectacular! I'm assuming at peak number 2 it's on your list? It's easily accessible with a long gentle climb and a couple of scrambling sections. There's interpretive signage explaining (almost bragging?) about why the water in the gorges is lower. The mine at Marandoo is actually now below the water table! Couple that with a drying continent ... you get the picture.
Having said that, April is the end of the wet season, so you may find the gorges very full.

It can get hot in the bottom of the gorges. We found going early avoided the heat and the crowds and actually made scrambling safer because less people had splashed water over the rocks, e.g. the Spiderwalk, Handrail Pool and so on.
To protect your feet in the water, old sandshoes or reef walkers are useful.
Apart from that, beware the heat, carry plenty of water, etc. ... the usual warnings.

Some good pointers from these people: http://thelongwaysbetter.blogspot.com/2018/05/our-guide-to-karijini-national-park.html

Enjoy!
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick
Redtail
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby OzLoz » Thu 31 Jan, 2019 9:51 pm

Thanks a lot that blog is great!

A local tour operator said the gorges are near empty at the moment despite nearing the end of the wet season. Think I will rusk it anyway!
OzLoz
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Redtail » Sat 02 Feb, 2019 9:03 am

OzLoz wrote:Thanks a lot that blog is great!

A local tour operator said the gorges are near empty at the moment despite nearing the end of the wet season. Think I will rusk it anyway!

Sounds good. You can't beat local knowledge. Enjoy!
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick
Redtail
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Return to Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport