The Greater Blue Mountains area for ≥10 days

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

The Greater Blue Mountains area for ≥10 days

Postby screenwatching » Sat 02 Dec, 2017 1:28 pm

With only 16 weeks to go until I have 16 days off work (YES!), today has been marked down to start planning my next solo long-distance bushwalk. In April I completed the GNW over 10 glorious days and in March/April 2018 I’m interested in covering a good part of The Greater Blue Mountains area.

I haven’t spent much time in the area apart from completing a few 1-2 day trips from Wildwalks.com and also wandering around the lower Blue Mountains. Reading about the possibility of the area being significantly impacted if the dam is raised has also sparked interest in the region.

After a quick look today I’m thinking Mittagong to Katoomba with deviations as mentioned in a number of threads to avoid roads/fire trails. Add on a few circuits around Katoomba and then on to Blackheath for another circuit. I’m not particularly attached to the idea yet so open to suggestions.

I’m looking to include:
• ≥10 days – so best case scenario 10 days but allowing up to 15 days for heavy rain.
• Away from tourists or heavy traffic areas for the majority of the time (especially Easter weekend)
• Limited road or fire-trail & options for both on & off-track.

I’m comfortable (will tolerate) carrying up to 20kgs and with a base weight of 7 to 8kgs, that leaves plenty of room for food & water. I pretty much eat instant mash & salmon satchels or jerky so not much planning needed for food. Happy to drive/walk in for a food drop though as I’ll be doing a bushwalk each weekend until the much anticipated annual leave starts.

I haven’t done much off-track walking since I found the Wildwalks website but spent a couple of years using topo maps throughout the central coast area. I’m willing to purchase a good GPS if it will add significant value to the trip and also refresh the navigation skills until day one. I have a PLB.

I’m surprised there isn’t a well advertised long distance walk in the area. If you have something in mind though, your insights will be appreciated.

Thanks
screenwatching
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: The Greater Blue Mountains area for ≥10 days

Postby puredingo » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 7:25 pm

Tail end of summer...you may well still face some pretty hot weather, so be prepared to carry a bit of water on the walk.
puredingo
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby rcaffin » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 8:45 pm

in March/April 2018 I’m interested in covering a good part of The Greater Blue Mountains area.
In 2 months?
Better allow 20 years.

I’m surprised there isn’t a well advertised long distance walk in the area.
There is an infinity of good longer-distance walks in the Blue Mtns. We do not advertise them because this is not 'novice' country, and novices getting lost is a huge political pain. Besides, why spoil the fun?

Mind you, anyone who has done any long off-track walks in the area will tell you that the scrub can get a shade tiring after the 5th day.

I suggest you aim for some shorter walks to get to know the area.

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ribuck » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 9:07 am

It doesn't really meet your criteria because it's too short (maybe 5 days if you did GNW in 10), but I love starting at Mt Victoria and following the Grose River back to Sydney. Sticking with one river lets you see it develop from a gully, to a waterfall-containing stream, to a babbling small rocky river, to a slow lazy sandy river, to an urban river.
ribuck

Region: Other Country

Postby Hughmac » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 5:39 pm

The best source I've seen for walks in the Greater Blue Mountains is Dave Noble's web site. Offers an enormous amount of useful information about the region.
Hughmac
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT