Aldi merino time again

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

Aldi merino time again

Postby Lamont » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 12:55 pm

This weeks special buys.
mangia, mangia e mangia di nuovo
Lamont
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Societe' de Lamont Cranston
Region: Victoria

Re: Aldi merino time again

Postby Franco » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 10:13 am

Yes, I want some more T shirts. I wear them 9 months a year at home.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tarptent

Postby Lamont » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 11:36 am

Check out fhe womens, just size up and then you can get some colours. Watch the undies tho' they are/were tight fit. I do wish they were slightly less "heavy" though. But unkillable so far after 5 years.
Lamont
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 5:29 pm

Lamont wrote:Check out fhe womens, just size up and then you can get some colours. Watch the undies tho' they are/were tight fit. I do wish they were slightly less "heavy" though. But unkillable so far after 5 years.

Hi Lamont. Would your guess (or anyone else's) be that the womens' undies will be on the small side as well? I've put an order in for a couple of pairs - maybe I'd best size up?
Also, my orderee won't be able to get to Aldi early Saturday morning now. Anybody else going who wouldn't mind looking for womens' merino undies?? And posting them to Tassie?? I'd be very happy to direct deposit if anybody would be willing and able!
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby jobell » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 6:19 pm

Tortoise - I am a size 14 and take size L for large in Aldi's merino undies. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 6:25 pm

G'day Tortoise, sorry I don't now about the women's undies. But last year I bought a few of the mens and they were really quite snug for the size, you wouldn't want to accidentally shrink them even a wee bit. However on the plus side I did manage to successfully shrink a couple of the long sleeved tshirts just recently. But this year who knows.
Sorry, I wont be in the local Geelong -Grovedale-bunfight this year. The last couple of years I have had my heel run over (someone running for the merino) and the queue. For what it's worth they were really well made. Sizes are always sparing here, usually only 2 per size. Good undying!
Lamont
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 8:04 pm

jobell wrote:Tortoise - I am a size 14 and take size L for large in Aldi's merino undies. Hope that helps.

Thanks Jobell. It does. Do they only come up once a year as far you know?
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 8:14 pm

Lamont wrote:G'day Tortoise, sorry I don't now about the women's undies. But last year I bought a few of the mens and they were really quite snug for the size, you wouldn't want to accidentally shrink them even a wee bit. However on the plus side I did manage to successfully shrink a couple of the long sleeved tshirts just recently. But this year who knows.
Sorry, I wont be in the local Geelong -Grovedale-bunfight this year. The last couple of years I have had my heel run over (someone running for the merino) and the queue. For what it's worth they were really well made. Sizes are always sparing here, usually only 2 per size. Good undying!

Thanks, Lamont. :) Owie!! :shock: I reckon I did very well to get a gortex-type jacket for $99 a few years ago, unscathed. Accidentally timed my trip to NSW perfectly. One of the very few down sides of living in Tassie - I usually miss the good Aldi sales.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 8:21 pm

Tortoise wrote:
jobell wrote:Tortoise - I am a size 14 and take size L for large in Aldi's merino undies. Hope that helps.

Thanks Jobell. It does. Do they only come up once a year as far you know?

Yep. Yearly cycle. You might go to Europe in 6 months and catch them there if your desperate and strange. The range there is a little different and can be more varied (I've seen the adds from UK and Ireland ... they are different between the two! And one from Germany but at a different date.).

They have an excellent return policy - no questions asked .. other than is it ok (they want to know if it is faulty so they don't resell it) and the receipt. And if it is ok they want it back in the original packing so they can simply put it back on the shelf. So .. if you have the opportunity buy various sizes .. and return the ones you don't want.

Aldi have done a zipoff pant too (I have3 pairs)... so maybe there is a second sale waiting?
There is closely guarded knowledge of which stores may have stock of stuff sold out elsewhere... not telling!
Warin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby dagsands » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 3:21 pm

All my existing merino is Macpac or icebreaker. Last weekend I grabbed the Aldi women's t shirt, jacket and undies.
Undies seemed generous to me. My neighbour got a few pairs too (small) and she found them a bit too generous too.
The tshirt I had to go a size smaller. Jacket was spot on although a little scratcher than I'd hoped. The other items were soft as silk- just as good as icebreaker.
A couple of dags and their pooch who live by the beach in their home named 'Dag Sands', of course.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 10:15 am

I spotted a decent LW down jacket for something like $50
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 6:08 pm

Franco, get a slightly bigger jacket to go over your vest!
Come un forno!
Lamont
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 8:51 pm

Franco wrote:I spotted a decent LW down jacket for something like $50

Yes, trying it out now as I type but not yet feeling the warmth with this one when compared with my looser fitting cotton sweater. Not sure what is wrong or I'm just not suited to merino wool.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 11:03 pm

Franco wrote:I spotted a decent LW down jacket for something like $50

Yes they seem pretty good for $50. I bought another one of the UL down vests for <$30 last Saturday. Brilliant and useful piece of gear. I've taken my existing one on a number of 2-3 day trips over the past few years. It weighs and packs down to almost nothing, and has good warmth to weight ratio for sitting around camp in spring or autumn. Often stuff it in the pack on day hikes also. This time of year likely need at least a light outer layer with long sleeves as well (and its not heavy enough for alpine use IMHO).
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 11:35 am

I bought one of those vests sometime ago. In fact I have it on now, it's 5c outside...
For a long time I was looking at the UL offerings from the US but to get it here they would have been around or over $200 and only an ounce or so lighter.
So I am very pleased with the Aldi vest I have.
You do need to try them on . I am an M but the vest is L and fits just nicely over a thick jumper .
BTW, I have a nice Macpac and a WM jacket so I was only pointing out the Aldi version as possible good value for money, not for myself.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts