Possum Barrel

Food topics, including recipes.

Possum Barrel

Postby Neo » Sun 04 Nov, 2018 2:33 pm

G'day

Any ideas on what would make a good food storage container? Instead of a stuff sack or dry bag but still lightish.

I'm tempted to try a bear barrel but would have to import one and they are too heavy duty...

Something like a 3kg plastic peanut butter jar would do!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Possum Barrel

Postby Mark F » Sun 04 Nov, 2018 3:04 pm

What capacity and what purpose - long term caching or just overnight type protection?

For caching where I have carried in the cache I found a 4 litre metal olive oil can was very light and worked well. Zero cost as it is recycling our rubbish. Cut three sides of the lid with a can opener and pull open. Drill a couple of matching holes in the top and side opposite the uncut side to allow a bit of wire to securely close the lid with a twist. Once filled and closed I run a bead of silicone around the cut and the drilled holes to fully seal it. I have stashed these in tree stumps, fallen logs etc without any issue from animals or insects. One was in the field for over 12 months.

For in camp type protection I wouldn't bother. Hang the food in a sil-nylon stuff sack. If concerned about creatures managing to access the neck of the stuff sack a small cone of plastic stops them holding on and keeps out the rain if hanging outside. Also could consider replacing the drawstring with dyneema cord.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby norts » Sun 04 Nov, 2018 3:09 pm

Ursack, but you would probably have to import it, lighter than a bear canister.
norts
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Neo » Sun 04 Nov, 2018 3:18 pm

The topic name is just a catchy headline! Thinking first as alternative food storage and secondary as critter protection.

Olive can is a great idea for a stash. Sometimes they come in a plastic barrel, but thats a lot of olives!

Icing or fondant tubs from a bakery is an option but could be close to half a kilo empty.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Sun 04 Nov, 2018 3:26 pm

Did have a critter nibble into a bag beside me one night at a camp cave. Currently using an Exped dark blue dry bag BS. The internet tells me its 13L which it doesn't look like.

If so then I'm taking up about 10L which includes some plastic jars. They are bulky so I could eliminate most jars if using a main barrel.

(jars are reusable instead of ziplocks etc, have minor OCD type organisation!)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 17 Nov, 2018 10:37 am

Large Milo tin
About 3 litres capacity and almost ready to go once washed out; 163 grams on my kitchen scales.
I have one here I have just washed out and it will go in the car with "Emergency" supplies in it. Matches candles Firelighters and a few Mars bars/soup packets. I line mine with bread bags as a secondary protection layer.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Neo » Sat 17 Nov, 2018 8:01 pm

Cheers for the idea. As a kid my favourite cereal was rice bubbles with Milo on top.

Had forgotten about my barrel whim. Will be in a town tomorrow so might snoop around the bakery and cafe bins for a small barrel!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aardvark » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 7:38 am

In the interests of those exploring all options.
I have had extensive use of 30Lt canoe barrels. That is those that are watertight, have a wide mouth lid, preferably black but that can be painted over.
One came to grief from bushfire many years ago but other than that they have faultless.
There is often more than food in mine though.
I suspect they are best suited to my environment. There are always discreet patches of bush to hide them in.
My last use of water containers involved coles soda water bottles. Of nearly thirty bottles placed we lost four to bites at the base of the bottle where small teeth got a grip. That'll be overcome for sure by cutting some bottles to double layer the base of the water bottles.
Water is often an issue on long routes for those of us in SEQ.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 18 Nov, 2018 9:50 am

Next time ALDI have a special on Calamata olives I may buy a couple of the 5 kilo drums of such, that size would be handy for my uses
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Neo » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 3:35 pm

Got a 4.6 litre Unipro painters bucket from Bunnings for $6.80 is clear with a yellow lid so looks like a 5kg honey tub.

The lid tore on first removal so will sort that out when going past the shop again tomorrow.

Won't get to give it a go on a trip for a while. Should be able to squeeze a bunch of ingredients in.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bush Tucker