Cheese in a can

Food topics, including recipes.

Cheese in a can

Postby oyster_07 » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 3:20 pm

I'm looking for canned/tinned cheese to place in food drops. I know it's not going to be a gourmet cheese, but it will suffice. Ideally I'd like each can to be around 50 grams.

I have found the below option, however does anyone have any other suggestions or experience?
http://www.survivalsuppliesaustralia.com.au/products/Cheese-in-a-Can-113gms.php

Thanks.
User avatar
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon 21 Nov, 2011 5:57 am
Region: Victoria

Re: Cheese in a can

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 3:28 pm

I take Kraft shelf stable cheddar all the time. 250 and 500gm blocks you'll find at most supermarkets, usually near the peanut butter etc.

It's only foil / cardboard packed but holds up really well.
User avatar
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed 03 Aug, 2011 3:33 pm
Region: Tasmania
Gender: Male

Re: Cheese in a can

Postby GBW » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 4:12 pm

For FD treats I've used small cans of brie and camembert; also jars of feta in oil with herbs and spices...very nice with sun dried tomatoes, crackers and a nice bottle of wine.

You may need to hunt around in some gourmet delis to find them.
User avatar
GBW
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Fri 02 May, 2014 9:03 am
Location: Melbourne
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: Cheese in a can

Postby davidf » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 5:02 pm

I know this is not in a can but has anyone tried vac packing hard goat or sheep cheese? I, ve had it last quite well without fancy packing.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu 24 Jan, 2013 12:17 pm
Region: New South Wales

Re: Cheese in a can

Postby RonK » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 5:57 pm

No personal experience, other than the canned Kraft cheddar and butter we used in Darwin back when I was a kid - but perhaps buying a waxed cheese, or waxing your favourite vintage cheddar could work for you...

Preserving Cheese by Waxing

Image
User avatar
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
 
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon 31 Dec, 2012 10:33 am
Region: Queensland
Gender: Male

Re: Cheese in a can

Postby icefest » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 8:18 pm

Waxed cheese still goes unpleasant when it gets hot.

Kraft cheddar would be the way to go.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
User avatar
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 3713
Joined: Fri 27 May, 2011 11:19 pm
Region: Victoria

Re: Cheese in a can

Postby icefest » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 8:19 pm

Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
User avatar
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 3713
Joined: Fri 27 May, 2011 11:19 pm
Region: Victoria

Re: Cheese in a can

Postby Eremophila » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 11:10 pm

Kraft cheddar / Laughing Cow, Happy Cow or whatever it's marketed as these days.

They last forever. The Happy Cow is not too bad on crackers.
User avatar
Eremophila
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon 24 Oct, 2011 5:15 pm
Location: SW Vic
Region: Victoria

Re: Cheese in a can

Postby vanNek » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 6:19 am

Eremophila wrote:Kraft cheddar / Laughing Cow, Happy Cow or whatever it's marketed as these days.

They last forever. The Happy Cow is not too bad on crackers.


+1 recently had took some hans striker salami sticks & had that on cuskets


"No half measures......"
vanNek
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri 03 Jan, 2014 5:12 pm
Region: Queensland
Gender: Male

Re: Cheese in a can

Postby Stew63 » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 1:35 am

My mate gave me some Australian Army ration canned cheddar cheese to try. Not 'gourmet' but long life and good enough for hiking. I think it's NZ cheddar and canned in NZ. If only they sold it in stores :(
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat 03 Mar, 2012 2:53 am
Location: Eltham, Victoria
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: Cheese in a can

Postby Stew63 » Fri 17 Mar, 2017 6:36 pm

Some things I've learnt recently...

1/. After further investigation the Australian Defence Forces ration pack 56gm canned cheese is actually not from NZ but made by the Bega Cheese company at their Strathmerton (Cobram, Victoria) processing factory and re-labelled as 'Bonland Dairies'.

2/. After contacting the Bega Cheese Marketing department they advise that they will export over 60million units of canned cheese around the world in 2017 (mostly middle east) - but they will not sell any to nor make any available to Australians :(

3/. No US websites contacted will sell the 200gm blue Bega canned cheese to Australians :(

4/. Note: From what I've read there is no Australian import restriction on importing this canned cheese back to Australia - so no issue bringing back in - but just no one will do it...

5/. Although this Bega tinned cheese will last in the can for years and years - the 250gm Kraft 'dairylea' boxed/packaged Kraft processed cheese off the supermarket shelf (not chiller) will last about 12months - so quite good for food drops etc.
Attachments
bega.png
Bega Cheese (56gm ration cheese - Australian Defence Forces)
Bega2.png
Bega Cheese (56gm ration cheese - Australian Defence Forces)
BegaCheese3.jpeg
Bega Cheese (200gm - export only)
BegaCheese3.jpeg (13.31 KiB) Viewed 241 times
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat 03 Mar, 2012 2:53 am
Location: Eltham, Victoria
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: Cheese in a can

Postby vanNek » Fri 17 Mar, 2017 8:01 pm

Stew63 wrote:Some things I've learnt recently...

1/. After further investigation the Australian Defence Forces ration pack 56gm canned cheese is actually not from NZ but made by the Bega Cheese company at their Strathmerton (Cobram, Victoria) processing factory and re-labelled as 'Bonland Dairies'.

2/. After contacting the Bega Cheese Marketing department they advise that they will export over 60million units of canned cheese around the world in 2017 (mostly middle east) - but they will not sell any to nor make any available to Australians :(

3/. No US websites contacted will sell the 200gm blue Bega canned cheese to Australians :(

4/. Note: From what I've read there is no Australian import restriction on importing this canned cheese back to Australia - so no issue bringing back in - but just no one will do it...

5/. Although this Bega tinned cheese will last in the can for years and years - the 250gm Kraft 'dairylea' boxed/packaged Kraft processed cheese off the supermarket shelf (not chiller) will last about 12months - so quite good for food drops etc.


Will they send it too ship it too?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vanNek
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri 03 Jan, 2014 5:12 pm
Region: Queensland
Gender: Male

Re: Cheese in a can

Postby Stew63 » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 11:28 am

vanNek wrote:[quote="Stew63"
Will they send it too ship it too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I'm not entirely sure what you mean ^^^ but if you mean will they send it to me for me to 'export' it overseas - no they will not.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat 03 Mar, 2012 2:53 am
Location: Eltham, Victoria
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male


Return to Bush Tucker

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests