Pot size for two people

Food topics, including recipes.

Pot size for two people

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 3:21 pm

Perhaps showing my preference for solitude in the bush.. but I rarely cook in the outdoors for two. Usually when travelling with others they do their own cooking.

So if I need to don the chefs hat do I use a 750ml pot or 900ml for two people? Im thinking 900ml? Larger?

I don t cook anything to fancy however Im frequently adding in lots of different dehyd ingrediants and giving them a stir under heat.

I currently use a 500ml pot for solo use and its usually filled almost to the brim when im reheating dehydrated meals.
wildwanderer
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Pot size for two people

Postby Orion » Sun 14 Apr, 2019 12:01 am

This is something you figure out on your own based on what you like to cook and how you do it.

For what it's worth I use a 2 quart / 1.9 liter pot. I can get away with a 1.3L pot but it makes it harder at times. Same with solo - I tried to use a 0.7L pot but ultimately found that I was happier with a 1.3L pot. For just heating water the smaller sizes are fine but I almost always put food in the pot.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 14 Apr, 2019 10:50 am

I use a small Trangia pan when cooking for two - 1.5 L.
ChrisJHC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 14 Apr, 2019 2:19 pm

Bigger is better usually I use 1100 to 1300ml solo simply because I find it easier and for two I go up a size
I still use an old 3 litre billy sometimes. I tend towards soupy style meals tho with a lot of liquid
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 14 Apr, 2019 2:25 pm

My solo pots are 900ml and 1L, but I tend to try to one-pot stuff. if I was cooking for 2, 1.5 would probably work. Also depends on how much stirring or boiling space you need. I find that the stove/pot combo almost matters more than a few ml difference in size.
Again though, what you are cooking matters. For example, I'll cook rice with too much water, then add the freezedry veggies and meat to absorb the excess. That needs more room than just rehydrating some veggies and Deb, or even steaming some fresh veg. Also I'm a clumsy muppet, some people can cook in 700 ml what takes me 900.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 14 Apr, 2019 4:46 pm

Interesting. thanks for insights everyone.

Ive just bought a 1L pot off Lamont so I will see how that goes. Seeing as everyone is using 1.3L and above Im glad i didnt go with 750ml!

I find 500ml comfortable solo and the 2 person trips will be less strenuous (and thus requiring less calories) so Im hoping 1L will work out.
wildwanderer

Region: New South Wales

Return to Bush Tucker