Gear problems and causes / solutions

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Gear problems and causes / solutions

Postby Bubbalouie » Sun 27 Oct, 2019 9:08 pm

If it's a thermarest they sell valve repair kits.

Might work better that way as you can fill the whole length of the valve's thread with new glue.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 27 Oct, 2019 9:24 pm

Bubbalouie wrote:If it's a thermarest they sell valve repair kits.

Might work better that way as you can fill the whole length of the valve's thread with new glue.

Thanks for the reply.

Its a nemo unfortunately. So you dont have confidence that applying sealant to the surface will be sufficient?

As per usual I’ve left it too late to contact the nemo distributor and see if they can send me a new valve. (never seen a nemo valve repair kit in retail stores)
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Neo » Sun 27 Oct, 2019 10:20 pm

WW yup!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bubbalouie » Sun 27 Oct, 2019 10:44 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Its a nemo unfortunately. So you dont have confidence that applying sealant to the surface will be sufficient?

As per usual I’ve left it too late to contact the nemo distributor and see if they can send me a new valve. (never seen a nemo valve repair kit in retail stores)

I've never had to do anything more than a new valve in a thermarest or a leaky bike tire, so I'm afraid I've got not useful experience to offer sorry.

I expect it'd probably hold, especially if it's a slow leak. If the air pressure (of the leak) is low and the glue is pliable it should be ok I think. So long as your glue is able to stick to the surface in question anyway.

Personally in your situation I'd consider gluing a new membrane around the leaky spot if I could. That would require enough room though. Either that or I'd use a glue designed to plug leaks (silicone sealant maybe?).

In any case, best of luck. I hope it goes well.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 5:06 am

It should work but a patch is advised. The leak is probably due to flexing of the valve, which will continue, so having a patch seems to me to be advised. You may be able to find a big patch and cut a hole for the valve, thus giving a contiguous reinforcement. I cannot decide if there should be sealant and a patch or both. What sort of mat is it?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 6:10 am

Its a nemo tensor.

This is what the valve looks like. Its leaking at the join between the hard plastic of the valve and the mat material.

When you guys mention sealant. Are you talking about the stuff that comes with mat repair kits? or something more heavy duty?

nemo.png
nemo.png (492.19 KiB) Viewed 2874 times
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 7:19 am

Yeah, Aquaseal or Seamgrip will do the job if it's a small hole.
Petew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 9:44 am

Some time ago I asked about sealing sleeping mats with bicycle glue, and from memory the consensus was that it's best to use the glue that came with the mat. However, there may be (probably are) glues that will work with a range of plastics. While sealants or glue alone may work, I'm tending to have a reinforcement of the area. You may be able to use a big patch designed for a bigger mat such as a li-lo. This will be heavier than the Nemo fabric but it will give reassurance. Someone may have a larger patch of Nemo fabric.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 10:06 am

Ive used seamgrip. (sil version as that all i had handy and which was likly a mistake to use :oops: ). Seems to be bonding alright. Will see how it goes. Takes 6 hours to cure.

If not I have a backup mat I can use, however the holed one had a better R value. This may be the kick i need to order a xlite.. :lol:
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby madpom » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 11:59 am

Won't help for your valve problem but I've used tenacious tape on my mattress with 3 years of troublefree use since. Also on tent and on drybag with similar success.

Not found a product that comesnear to it despite trying several competetors 'equivalents'
madpom
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: routeguides.co.nz
Region: New Zealand

Postby Petew » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 11:59 am

Let us know how the Sil seamgrip goes. I suspect the PU version would be more suitable but you never know....
Petew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Petew » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 12:01 pm

Madpom,

Tenacious tape is amazingly good. Pretty permanent. Not cheap though.
Petew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Equipment