BEMCO Backpacker's oven

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: BEMCO Backpacker's oven

Postby photohiker » Wed 20 Mar, 2013 4:22 pm

Looks yummy Phil.

How's the weight going? :mrgreen:
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 20 Mar, 2013 5:19 pm

photohiker wrote:Looks yummy Phil.

How's the weight going? :mrgreen:

That I need to keep an eye on, I'm waiting for our local gym to open up after the record floods we had back in January. I heard yesterday it will be after easter at the earliest now, before they open.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 12:09 pm

I now own an ideal stove for my Bemco Backpacking Oven. A MSR Windpro 2.

I been putting the Bemco Oven to the test for the past week since I arrived back home from my adventures. Currently have two homemade pizza baking in my Bemco Oven out the backyard.

The MSR Windpro 2 is the best Stove I have found thus far as a heat source for the Bemco Oven. Plenty of heat can be generated from this stove if needed, such as real world environment. I.E, the outdoors.

It's a great little Oven, I own two versions, the smallest and the largest available. The smaller of the two is compact enough and light enough to take on a overnight hike.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 09 Jul, 2013 1:15 pm

I done a test today to see how much gas my MSR Windpro 2 uses to heat my oven.

3 bakes.

First bake using my 8" Bemco Oven I baked 10 Muffins at 350F for 20 minutes.
Second bake using my 6" Bemco Oven I baked two muffins at 400F for 15 minutes.
Third bake using my 8" Bemco Oven I baked two home made Pizza's at 400F for 30 minutes.

I weighed my Gas bottle before and after, 144 grams of gas was used up, this is in a real world environment test, Outside. I did not use any windshields outside the Oven, there was only a very slight breeze. The times above does not include the time to heat up the Oven. It taken apx 2 minutes to heat the oven to the required temps for each bake.
The MSR WindPro is easy to use and very easy to adjust.

The 6" Bemco Backpacking Oven is a lot more efficient than the 8" Oven, as there is a lot less area to heat, I had the Windpro turned down a lot lower than I had to on the 8".
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Equipment