Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Stecam85 » Wed 15 Jan, 2020 5:48 pm

Hi Everyone!

For Christmas my wife and I got a backpack carrier for our daughter to go on bush walks and hikes with. I’ve always been a bush walker but have always worn runners. Now I figure with the extra weight on my back and stress on my feet it would be worth getting some decent shoes. I’ve been so many places and it’s hard to find a wide fit US14, I’m 6ft 5 and I solid build and I tend to tear my shoes apart through wear and tear

Can someone recommend brands, or stores to visit? (I’m in South East Melb suburbs) I went to Kathmandu and anaconda but I don’t trust them (the old, this is our exclusive brand and its better than anything out there)

Thanks
Stecam85
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat 04 Jan, 2020 2:05 pm
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Eremophila » Wed 15 Jan, 2020 7:33 pm

Try some Keen stockists, perhaps in the city. They make up to size 15 and are renowned for being better for wide feet.
User avatar
Eremophila
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon 24 Oct, 2011 5:15 pm
Location: SW Vic
Region: Victoria

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Joynz » Wed 15 Jan, 2020 8:03 pm

1.
Vasque Breeze - they come in a wide fitting and not too heavy. Make sure you allow lots of room at the end of toes.

2.
I can also recommend Altra trail runners (Lone Peak or Olympus) if you want runner comfort but with a good grippy sole. They have a very broad toe box. Zero drop - no raised heel. Also different levels of cushioning.

I got mine from Wildfire and you can order them through ‘try 2 anything’ for $3. Order a couple of sizes and a small something like a pair of socks. As long as you keep one thing, you can return the rest and it’s only cost $3 for the return postage (or $10 admin fee if you return everything).
Joynz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed 23 Oct, 2019 12:46 am
Region: Victoria

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby sk8erade » Wed 15 Jan, 2020 9:10 pm

I also have wide feet (6'4", size 13) but the added problem that my smallest two toes on both feet lie sideways and roll under the adjacent toes when my foot is flat. Starting to get worse as I get older.
Unsure whether a wider shoe would alleviate this or whether I should see a podiatrist.
Interested if anyone else has had this experience and has resolved it.

Sorry OP for jumping in your thread but I figured the discussion was heading the right way lol.
User avatar
sk8erade
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat 21 Dec, 2019 12:22 pm
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Male

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Dalmeny Mark » Wed 15 Jan, 2020 9:21 pm

Also try One Planet, their boots go up to EU size 49 (US Size 14 is EU 47-48). I also have wide feet and large body size and my EU size 46 One Planet Sturt shoes are wide enough without feeling like you are wearing shoe boxes.
Dalmeny Mark
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue 08 May, 2018 9:33 am
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Male

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Joynz » Wed 15 Jan, 2020 10:26 pm

sk8erade wrote:I also have wide feet (6'4", size 13) but the added problem that my smallest two toes on both feet lie sideways and roll under the adjacent toes when my foot is flat. Starting to get worse as I get older.
Unsure whether a wider shoe would alleviate this or whether I should see a podiatrist.
Interested if anyone else has had this experience and has resolved it.

Sorry OP for jumping in your thread but I figured the discussion was heading the right way lol.


Definitely see a podiatrist.
Joynz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed 23 Oct, 2019 12:46 am
Region: Victoria

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Stecam85 » Wed 15 Jan, 2020 11:02 pm

I really like the Salomon Brand, they have a wide option but looks like they don’t go to US14
Stecam85
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat 04 Jan, 2020 2:05 pm
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Stecam85 » Wed 15 Jan, 2020 11:03 pm

Eremophila wrote:Try some Keen stockists, perhaps in the city. They make up to size 15 and are renowned for being better for wide feet.


How is the quality though? Are they any good?
Stecam85
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat 04 Jan, 2020 2:05 pm
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Petew » Thu 16 Jan, 2020 9:19 am

Keen and Altra. Keen quality is ok, Altra(my favourite) are not very hardy
Petew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 12:07 pm
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Male

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby kymboy » Thu 16 Jan, 2020 3:12 pm

Keens are fine. I have duck feet and wear them all the time. I like their Targhee Exps cause they a slightly more restrained fashion statement than some of the Keen range.
I can also vouch for Altras.
kymboy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon 13 Dec, 2010 6:42 pm
Region: New South Wales

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby CBee » Thu 16 Jan, 2020 3:27 pm

Keen targhee II are wide.
CBee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri 21 Dec, 2018 7:18 am
Region: Queensland

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Lamont » Thu 16 Jan, 2020 3:37 pm

kymboy wrote:Keens are fine. I have duck feet and wear them all the time. I like their Targhee Exps cause they a slightly more restrained fashion statement than some of the Keen range.
I can also vouch for Altras.


May I ask Kym how do the Keens compare to the Altras-I own the Lone Peaks-they're nearly dead. Re- heel size and front of foot space. Are they as wide?
Duck footed walkers of the world (Stecam85) unite!
Everybody have fun tonight Everybody Wang Chung tonight
Everybody have fun tonight Everybody Wang Chung tonight
User avatar
Lamont
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Sun 21 Feb, 2016 1:27 pm
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Societe' de Lamont Cranston
Region: Victoria

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Eremophila » Thu 16 Jan, 2020 4:42 pm

Stecam85 wrote:
Eremophila wrote:Try some Keen stockists, perhaps in the city. They make up to size 15 and are renowned for being better for wide feet.

How is the quality though? Are they any good?


I think the quality is good, and pretty much corresponds with the price you're paying.

Quite a few on this forum have complained of the soles not lasting very long. I'm happy with the amount of wear I'm getting out of mine, and live in them most of the year. Also the fact that I don't need to break them in - they are comfy from the very start.

If you are heavier this may affect the wear of the soles a bit more. My other half is 6'6" and takes a size 15, he finds with some shoes that they are made bigger but don't account for the extra weight that a person of that size would obviously be carrying. That said, his Keens are still looking good despite being 10 years old.

One thing to note: some models, including the one that I use, were previously only carried by Mountain Designs. I'm not sure whether this is still the case since the re-branding of MD.
User avatar
Eremophila
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon 24 Oct, 2011 5:15 pm
Location: SW Vic
Region: Victoria

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Neo » Thu 16 Jan, 2020 5:39 pm

I think you will be fine with runner style.

Inov8 do a mid or boot style shoe, haven't tried the brand yet but are reputed to be a wider fit.

Astral are more a water brand but some cross to 'light hiker' design, can get them through Bigwater.

Topo have been the best shape for my toes and feet so far, 9.5/10!

See also a recent thread on 'where to try on...'
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides
 
Posts: 1330
Joined: Wed 31 Aug, 2016 4:53 pm
Location: Port Macquarie NSW
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Male

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby ribuck » Thu 16 Jan, 2020 5:42 pm

sk8erade wrote:... my smallest two toes on both feet lie sideways and roll under the adjacent toes

I have the same thing with my smallest two toes. These gel-tube bandages work for me as a preventitive measure while hiking, by keeping the toes in their own space:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003IDPXDK

A podiatrist might design a custom insert for your shoes that keeps your small toes in the right place - perhaps a sloping insert that counteracts the direction of the roll.
User avatar
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Wed 15 May, 2013 3:47 am
Region: Other Country
Gender: Male

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 16 Jan, 2020 6:41 pm

ribuck wrote:
sk8erade wrote:... my smallest two toes on both feet lie sideways and roll under the adjacent toes

I have the same thing with my smallest two toes. These gel-tube bandages work for me as a preventitive measure while hiking, by keeping the toes in their own space:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003IDPXDK

A podiatrist might design a custom insert for your shoes that keeps your small toes in the right place - perhaps a sloping insert that counteracts the direction of the roll.


Yep those gel toes are awesome. I don't go walking without them. You can pick em up at coles as well
User avatar
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides
 
Posts: 1057
Joined: Tue 02 May, 2017 8:42 am
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Male

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Neo » Thu 16 Jan, 2020 7:18 pm

Toe freaks! Sounds like you have suffered the standard pointy shoe designs, gotta get back to some toe splay!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides
 
Posts: 1330
Joined: Wed 31 Aug, 2016 4:53 pm
Location: Port Macquarie NSW
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Male

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 16 Jan, 2020 8:44 pm

Neo wrote:Toe freaks! Sounds like you have suffered the standard pointy shoe designs, gotta get back to some toe splay!


:lol: nah little toe blisters happened with keens. I have demented feet. Love the gel goodness!
User avatar
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides
 
Posts: 1057
Joined: Tue 02 May, 2017 8:42 am
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Male

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Neo » Thu 16 Jan, 2020 9:13 pm

Yup Keens upsetted my right litle toe, otherwise ok.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides
 
Posts: 1330
Joined: Wed 31 Aug, 2016 4:53 pm
Location: Port Macquarie NSW
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Male

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Neo » Thu 16 Jan, 2020 9:19 pm

Yup Keens upset my right little toe, with a bit of trick lacing they were otherwise ok.
Leather models better than synthetic.

If you look at a foot, the toes spread outwards.
No idea why most shoe makers try to make them round to a central point! Must be dumb or weird footed themselves.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides
 
Posts: 1330
Joined: Wed 31 Aug, 2016 4:53 pm
Location: Port Macquarie NSW
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Male

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Snooze » Fri 17 Jan, 2020 9:16 pm

I second the suggestion of Vasque Breeze (which I was very thankful to find in Trek 'n Travel) for the wide of foot. Also on my quest for wider fitting hiking boots about a year ago, I discovered a great online shoe shop "The Next Pair", which carries extra wide fittings of some Keen and Merrell models (models I had found in Sydney in the physical shops, but only in standard width). Unfortunately with this company, you do have to pay return post, if you decide the boots don't fit.
Snooze
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue 05 Jun, 2018 3:20 pm
Region: New South Wales

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Bam » Sat 18 Jan, 2020 8:59 am

I’d highly recommend a pair of Topo Athletic especially if you are into lightweight shoes for the trail.
https://www.topoathletic.com/
I’ve got a pair of their Ultraventure trail shoes & have been very happy with them, they were very comfortable straight out of the box & they are still showing very little signs of wear despite having had some heavy usage.
They are a little bit more challenging to find in store than other brands but there are now quite a few stockists in Australia where they can be purchased from.
Bam
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri 12 Jul, 2019 10:41 pm
Region: Western Australia
Gender: Male

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby kymboy » Sun 19 Jan, 2020 9:22 am

Lamont wrote:
kymboy wrote:Keens are fine. I have duck feet and wear them all the time. I like their Targhee Exps cause they a slightly more restrained fashion statement than some of the Keen range.
I can also vouch for Altras.


May I ask Kym how do the Keens compare to the Altras-I own the Lone Peaks-they're nearly dead. Re- heel size and front of foot space. Are they as wide?
Duck footed walkers of the world (Stecam85) unite!


Hey Lamont, I have the Lone Peak 3 in low cut and a pair of the mid mesh LP4s (which I haven't worn much). I reckon the LP3 are the most comfortable shoes I own but they have never felt particularly durable. The Keen EXPs seem about as wide as the LPs at the toebox though their more rigid construction makes them feel more solid. I've always felt the LPs were a little loose at the heel which isn't a problem, more an observation. The Keens feel snugger/more snug/less unsnug at the heel again because of the construction.
If I were a runner, which I'm not, I'd choose the LPs. I probably wouldn't choose to go jogging in the Keen EXPs, but I've found them a great light hiking and travel shoe. They're much less colourful/gaudy than the Altras and are comfortable and practical. The Keens were footwear of choice for hiking in Spain and pounding the pavements through Europe as well as the Blue Mts locally. Also used them to walk the Headhunters Trail in Borneo last year.
Hope that helps a bit.
kymboy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon 13 Dec, 2010 6:42 pm
Region: New South Wales

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Lamont » Sun 19 Jan, 2020 1:06 pm

kymboy wrote:
Lamont wrote:
kymboy wrote:Keens are fine. I have duck feet and wear them all the time. I like their Targhee Exps cause they a slightly more restrained fashion statement than some of the Keen range.
I can also vouch for Altras.


May I ask Kym how do the Keens compare to the Altras-I own the Lone Peaks-they're nearly dead. Re- heel size and front of foot space. Are they as wide?
Duck footed walkers of the world (Stecam85) unite!


Hey Lamont, I have the Lone Peak 3 in low cut and a pair of the mid mesh LP4s (which I haven't worn much). I reckon the LP3 are the most comfortable shoes I own but they have never felt particularly durable. The Keen EXPs seem about as wide as the LPs at the toebox though their more rigid construction makes them feel more solid. I've always felt the LPs were a little loose at the heel which isn't a problem, more an observation. The Keens feel snugger/more snug/less unsnug at the heel again because of the construction.
If I were a runner, which I'm not, I'd choose the LPs. I probably wouldn't choose to go jogging in the Keen EXPs, but I've found them a great light hiking and travel shoe. They're much less colourful/gaudy than the Altras and are comfortable and practical. The Keens were footwear of choice for hiking in Spain and pounding the pavements through Europe as well as the Blue Mts locally. Also used them to walk the Headhunters Trail in Borneo last year.
Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks very much Kym. I can tell you the LPs developed a small tear on me after about 200ks. It has barely enlarged and I must be on at least 800-900ks on them now and still going! I put a strip of firm leather in the heel area as the heel on the right shoe collapsed a bit. Can't kill them. Will likely be my next pair and will check out the Keens.
Cheers
Everybody have fun tonight Everybody Wang Chung tonight
Everybody have fun tonight Everybody Wang Chung tonight
User avatar
Lamont
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Sun 21 Feb, 2016 1:27 pm
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Societe' de Lamont Cranston
Region: Victoria

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 20 Jan, 2020 9:38 am

I switched to Keens about 6 months ago due to most other brands (or at least models) in Australian stores not fitting my wide-ish feet.

It's only early days yet, but I'm loving the Keens so far. I have done some short off-track walks, as well as some short and moderate tracked walks. All good for now.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 6569
Joined: Thu 01 Mar, 2007 7:55 am
Region: Tasmania
Gender: Male

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 20 Jan, 2020 2:54 pm

The one thing I don't like about keens is the hard rubber outer sole doesn't fully cover the bottom of the shoe. The soft midsole is exposed in several places.

I've had small sharp sticks pierce the exposed sections and become embeded in the midsole. Thankfully they haven't pushed through far enough to pierce my foot but it's a concern.
User avatar
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides
 
Posts: 1057
Joined: Tue 02 May, 2017 8:42 am
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Male

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby CBee » Tue 21 Jan, 2020 4:02 pm

Not sure if this happens only to me, but keen boots don't last me long. A brand new pair came back from federation peak completely shredded.
CBee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri 21 Dec, 2018 7:18 am
Region: Queensland

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby sk8erade » Tue 21 Jan, 2020 9:18 pm

wildwanderer wrote:
ribuck wrote:
sk8erade wrote:... my smallest two toes on both feet lie sideways and roll under the adjacent toes

I have the same thing with my smallest two toes. These gel-tube bandages work for me as a preventitive measure while hiking, by keeping the toes in their own space:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003IDPXDK

A podiatrist might design a custom insert for your shoes that keeps your small toes in the right place - perhaps a sloping insert that counteracts the direction of the roll.


Yep those gel toes are awesome. I don't go walking without them. You can pick em up at coles as well


Nice, thanks, I'll try those out. Need to do some shorter walks to get back in shape and to test a new pack so I'll use them with my current shoes. Still want some wider shoes eventually so will consider the options listed here too.
User avatar
sk8erade
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat 21 Dec, 2019 12:22 pm
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Male

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Nicktzam » Wed 22 Jan, 2020 9:01 pm

Keen Hiking shoes, sandals and boots, wide, indestructible, well virtually, Hiked up Mt Ruapehu in NZ in Keen sandals but due to insufficient support for the decent I used the boots but it got relatively hot for my feet,
As an Arborist I use the German Meindl brand which are really durable, like anything though depends how you treat the gear.
Nicktzam
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun 08 May, 2016 3:45 pm
Region: Victoria

Re: Hiking Shoes For big wide feet

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Wed 22 Jan, 2020 9:25 pm

Joynz is spot on, Altra LP are sweet. Just bought a pair after Berghaus Vapour claw. Once I can size a shoe I like I'll purchase multiples. Sadly Berghaus, no longer made, both pairs have done around 700km and have been retired. Purchased Altra LP online as I couldn't get an in-store fit in Victoria, took a gamble and can attest to their true to size fit. I'll stock up now once they're on special. Life's too short for *&%$#! shoes.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue 21 Nov, 2017 6:26 am
Location: Gippsland
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Next

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests